10+ Ways to Prepare Your Child for Kindergarten
Entering Kindergarten is an important milestone for both children and parents. Independence and self-confidence develops in children during the Kindergarten school year with many opportunities to learn in front of them. It is the beginning of an educational experience that spans over many years!
Here are several fun and effective ways to help your child have an enjoyable, successful Kindergarten experience from our Kindergarten teacher, Mrs. Fortna.
1. Encourage your child to use words that express their needs and wants.
2. Provide your child with opportunities to comprehend two-step directions.
3. Practice with your child recognizing and writing their own name.
4. Play rhyming games with your child often such as "cat and bat."
5. Recite the days of the week and months of the year with your child.
6. Create fun ways to count 1-10 and recognize the numbers.
7. Help your child identify shapes including square, circle, triangle and rectangle.
8. Schedule coloring time with your child using primary colors.
9. Give your child opportunities to use a pencil and scissors properly.
10. Prepare your child to be bathroom independent.
Bonus tip: Help your child learn to zip their jacket and tie their shoes.
Preparing your child for Kindergarten in advance enhances his/her love for learning and and helps build a strong foundation. St. Vincent de Paul Regional School's Kindergarten program offers an excellent academic experience that allows students to grow socially, emotionally, spiritually, and intellectually. We educate the whole child.
We are now enrolling Kindergarten students for the 2023-2024 school year. Contact us here to visit our school and learn about our Kindergarten curriculum and school. We look forward to meeting you and your family!